Friday, May 28, 2010

Morning Glory

It is a toss up as to whether my favorite flower is the Daisy or Sunflower. I can’t decide. Next are Morning Glories because no matter how hard I try, I can never mix the paints quite right to get that amazing bluish purple color on my palette. This is also true of Blue Jay and Indigo Buntings.


One morning – in the early days of new motherhood – I sat on the steps of my porch sipping coffee, embracing my exhaustion from being up all night with my newborn son, because he was inquisitive, not sleepy, not screaming, not demanding...We both sort of sat together dreamily thinking..."okay... here we are....wow..."

My son, cradled on the outside of my body rather than inside the womb, lay with his head resting against my heart… being tired that morning was strangely delicious. I stared at a Morning Glory that crept up the wrought iron railing beside me; it took my breath away as I honestly realized that even on my best day as an artist....the true beauty of nature cannot be duplicated on the canvas...only honored....and imprinted within.

No comments:

Post a Comment