Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Banjo Frogs


As soon as the sun sets, the bullfrog orchestra warms up, tunes and begins a musical marathon. They are all singing in the same key. They inspire one another. One begins, another repeats from another section producing a beautiful canon.


Some Banjo frogs make a series of swallowy glugs – typically three descending gulps – while the others sort of moan.


When I shine a flashlight on them, they suddenly stop; when I move it around, they start up again. Therefore, instead of cueing those to come in, they stop; it is reverse conducting. With practice, we can perform a symphony. The Duncan Lake Frogharmonic.

They are so loud, it is necessary for me to wear earplugs in order to sleep. This is an attention issue. I am unable to stop listening.

From my memoir – “The Summer at Duncan Lake”     July 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment